Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Most Embarrassing Moment


          I was in second grade at the time.  My mom had taken me for a visit to the eye doctor.  It turned out, as I’m sure we expected, that I needed glasses.  I could not see the chalk board in the classroom, but I would have rather squinted than wear glasses.  So, we picked up my glasses, I still remember what they looked like, they were pink.  My parents told me that I better wear them and I’m sure they gave me a bunch of reasons. 

         So, I guess they trusted me and thought I would be following their instructions.  They were wrong.  And somehow, my Mom knew that I wasn’t wearing the glasses and to this day I really do not know how.  Well, she wrote a note to the teacher letting her know that I had glasses and to be sure I was wearing them in class.  Instead of the teacher pulling me aside or being discrete about the glasses, she read the note and said out loud to the whole class, “Loren, make sure you wear your glasses.”  I was so embarrassed!



Vocabulary:

Expected: to think you will do something, something you are supposed to do

Squinted: to close your eyes to try to see something better

Trusted: to think someone will do the right thing

Discrete: to be quiet about something, to keep it private

Embarrassed: to feel uncomfortable



Vocabulary Exercise: Matching: match the definition to the correct vocabulary word



1. Expected                           a. to think you will do something, something you are supposed to do

2. Squinted                            b. to close your eyes to try to see something better

3. Trusted                              c. to think someone will do the right thing

4. Discrete                             d. to be quiet about something, to keep it private

5. Embarrassed                      e. to feel uncomfortable





Grammar: an adjective modifies or describes a noun.  Write your own Most Embarrassing Moment using at least five adjectives to describe the way you were feeling at that moment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment